Monday, June 27, 2011

15-Day Challenge: Day 12

Day 12: A Picture Of Something I'm Afraid Of


The above picture represents something I am, indeed, very afraid of: Cancer. It has to be one of the most horrifying things that exists in this world. Childhood cancer is particularly detestable. Even though I am not yet a parent, I can't imagine anything more terrifying than watching your child suffer from a disease so devastating and unpredictable.

I personally know several brave people who have fought battles with cancer and won. I also know some who have lost the battle and some who are still fighting. Hopefully someday there will be a cure so that future generations will be able to fully defeat this fearsome disease.

My own personal experience with cancer was very minor compared to so many people's, and for that I feel extremely lucky. My melanoma was at an early stage, so excision was all that was needed - no scans, chemo, radiation, or any of the other horrible things so many cancer patients go through. It's been two years, and there's no sign of recurrence or spreading. And thanks to the plastic surgeon who performed the excision, my scar is very faint and flat...I could almost forget that it's there. Except I never will.

No comments: