Friday, June 24, 2011

15-Day Challenge: Day 11

Day 11: A Picture of Something I'd Like to Learn



I would love to learn to sew. Wouldn't it be handy to just be able to whip up a table cloth, a quilt, or a costume? The problem is, I just don't have the patience for it. Also, I don't have a sewing machine. Details, details!

Both of my grandmothers were really gifted seamstresses in their day. My Nanny was always making warm, snuggly quilts, and one time she even made me an entire family of Care Bear pillows for my bed! My Granny was the go-to costume maker. I was CLEARLY the best-dressed at every Halloween with these awesome creations.

Here I am as Snow White - check out those details - amazing, Granny!


And it would be a shame to leave out my fabulous Rainbow Brite costume, also made by Granny. Check out the leg-warmers!! Hideous bowl haircut sold separately. Let me guess, Mom...this was one of those "OK, you don't want to let me fix your hair, I'll cut it all off" situations, huh?



My mom sews a bit as well, and made me this sweet little stuffed owl when I was little - I named him Hooter. She claims that I was begging for a stuffed owl, and the only way she could get me to shut up and take a nap was to promise me she'd make me one while I was asleep! Who me, being a pest? Surely not!


Here I am with Hooter in my awesome tiger costume (not sewn by any family members...passed down from my older cousin).


I know Mom will hate that I posted a pic of Hooter on here...she thinks he's the ugliest thing ever created. And sure, maybe he's a bit homely, but he was made with love and I adored him. I'll also mention that Mom has sewn lots of other less homely things as well. She's made some great table cloths for friends' baby and wedding showers!

You would think that a little bit of sewing craftiness would just come naturally to me with talented family members like this. But no. I tried to sew a stuffed dog one time when I was younger. I wish I had a picture of it, because it was truly pathetic. I'm pretty sure I ended up sticking the legs on with toothpicks!

But I don't even need to be as good a seamstress as the women in my family. At this point, just sewing a button back onto a shirt would be an accomplishment. I have found myself in need of some sewing skills on several occasions...mostly for making my own Halloween costumes now that I am older and my grandmothers would not likely be too enthusiastic about making a "Sexy Velma" costume for a 29-yr old woman! Maybe someday I'll learn. Until then, I'll just stick to my motto regarding crafts: If it can't be done with glue and double-sided tape, just forget it!

No comments: