Wednesday, February 23, 2011

At-Home Hot Oil Treatment

Don't you hate that dry, itchy skin that just won't seem to go away during the winter months? I have notoriously horrible skin anyway - allergic to everything, prone to stress breakouts, sometimes dry, sometimes as oily and zitty as a teenager, and then there's the melanoma. Yeah, my skin basically sucks. Let's hope our kids get Jeff's pretty olive Italian skin...he DOESN'T. EVEN. WASH. HIS. FACE!!!! And he has zero zits. Ugh, no fair!

Anyway, I kind of got off topic there for a minute. What I was getting at was this: I don't know about you, but my winter dry skin is not limited to my body - my scalp and hair feel extra dry during the winter months, too. So a few days ago, I decided to do an at-home hot oil treatment to give my hair some life. I decided to go the DIY route, because 1. I was too lazy to go to the store to buy one and 2. I figured it would be way easier and cheaper to just make one at home. And it WAS easy! And it definitely made my hair feel so soft, silky, and rehydrated. My itchy scalp was happy, too.

If you want to try this treatment for yourself, all you need is: 3 Tablespoons olive oil, 3 Tablespoons canola oil, and 1 Tablespoon of your normal conditioner. Scramble these ingredients together in a small microwave-safe bowl, then heat for 30 seconds (or more if it doesn't seem hot enough...but don't burn yourself). Then just apply the treatment to your hair and scalp, taking time to massage it in so it coats every strand and soaks in well. Then wrap your head in a warm, slightly damp towel for 30 minutes. When the half-hour is up, rinse your hair thoroughly, then shampoo it. Even though you'll smell a bit like an Italian restaurant (because of the olive oil), you'll enjoy hair that's soft, silky, and moisturized!

2 comments:

Tessa said...

CLEARLY doing this when I get a spare moment. :)

Jill said...

This really worked well. Good idea, Jill P!